Sunday, July 17, 2005

Eat-able Human














So, I saw 'Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.' The marvelous team of Tim Burton and Johnny Depp, compounded once again with the music of Danny Elfman, conspired to take the breath away. It was, in the most general of terms, an incredible movie backed by an incredible cast set against an incredible backdrop (mind-shocking colors and whimsical sets twisted my heart like hot taffy)...and, of course, Johnny absolutely lost himself in his character -- he developed Willy Wonka into a thousand dimensions -- some of which Gene Wilder himself failed to achieve. Me and my two fiend-accomplices smuggled Wonka candy (oh, how long it's been since I've tasted Laffy Taffy and Pixie Stix) into the theater and proceeded to send our blood sugar levels through the roof...all while enjoying the miracle that is a children's book brought to life by a cinematic genius.

Mr. Burton, it seems, did his homework. Exceedingly well. This version of the Roald Dahl masterpiece was much, much closer to the original book. In-depth journeys into the history of the Oompa-Loompas [and Wonka himself] add an intriguing twist, the ending is much more like that of the book's, and the entire film...reminds me of a counter-culture creature with neon lights for vein-juice.

What? Personification for a silver-screen creation? Oh, it warrants such a tool. It really, really does.

I suppose this is shocking, me writing in intelligible sentences. I'm feeling incredibly cynical and sarcastic, so the silly word-poetry is stuffed away for now. I don't want to hurt myself with myself...I'm assuming such stupidity could only produce a phobia of self-judging in the case of this unsure, sorry, on-tenterhooks-tonight girl. "Call it aftermath, she's turning blue...such a lovely color for you." Oh. Yeah. He's back, I'm bored, will this internal nightmare never end? Then again...peel me from the rind. Skin me from the bone. My irises bleed color onto the backs of my hands, if it's imperative that you know.

Muse, muse, muse. Seal upon thinethinethine.

More I ----. More I ----. I do. Most honestly.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I shall agree with you that it was an awesome set of pictures moving in sequence! The abilities of all involved with this project is rather astounding and made me feel almost happy for once. Also, it was exceedingly funny because Mr. Wonka was such an ass to the little children.

"Don't touch that squirrel's nuts! You'll make him go crazy!"


~Niz

10:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"this helps me to think all through the night.. bright lights that, won't kill me now, or tell me how.. just you and I, your starless eyes remain."

I have to go see that movie, I loved the original.

Willy Wonka.

- the Nolan (YDS)

11:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home