Friday, July 01, 2005

Bottom of a bottle

The song '45' [by Shinedown] is excruciating beautiful. I know it's on the radio -- I've heard it. I know it's slightly overplayed -- I've heard it. I don't care that so many other people have listened to it, have sung along off-key, have shrugged it off as just another contemporary tune. When he sings the chorus, it makes me want to shiver; the voice is so full, so rich, so completely imbued with a quality I can't describe. "What ever happened to the young man's heart? Swallowed by pain as he slowly fell apart...and now I'm staring down the barrel of a .45, swimming through the ashes of another life..." He hits the crescendo -- and I fall apart. It's like a series of waves, going up...then coming downdowndown...and leaving me breathless all the while. Oh god, is it tear-jerkingly gorgeous.

"I laugh until my head comes off..."

I've really got nothing to say. I'm in a little pain right now, but I suppose I could remedy that with even more synthetic little packages sliding down my throat. Hah. That sounds so silly, but it's what happens, isn't it? What did he call it...acetaminophen? 'Do not take with alcohol.' Oops. "I laugh until my head comes off."

Go out and dream extraordinary things! Go and pave your own path. Live your own life. Do what makes you happy regardless of others. Love who you want to love, groom your hate like a pedigreed creature and allow it out only when appropriate, be the good Samaritan when situations call for it -- and never, never regret anything that you've done unless it's ended in loss of limb, loss of life, or loss of brain-matter.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love that part, about grooming your hate.. and all of it really, the whole last paragraph. An anthem.. a manifesto for the new millenium!

Preach on my misery child.

- the Nolan

"Christ pays all, and on goes the sinner."

11:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home